Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Just venting...

I went to LifeWay today to pick up a study guide for one of our Student LifeGroups. I had a few minutes to kill before I was meeting a friend for lunch so I started to wander a bit. I found myself in...well, I don't even know what section I was in but I was surrounded by books about death. Books like Saying Goodbye- For Now, and Safe in the Arms of Jesus. Where are all the books that provide comfort to people whose loved one is not "safe in the arms of Jesus?" I've always had a pretty solid understanding of death and heaven. I took a whole class on it in college...oh, Ms Jan. But what about hell? What comfort can a believer find when a person they care for so much hasn't come to saving faith in Christ?

My father has about 3 months left...stupid cancer. Never in my life have I felt such an urgency to "save" someone. But how do you tell someone of Christ when they refuse to hear the name? My relationship with my dad has always been a bit estranged. I only spent a few weeks each summer with him and just a handful of holidays. And those occurances became fewer and fewer after I became a Christian. You would think that sharing Christ with my dad would have been a priority from the get-go but when someone is constantly criticizing the person you put all your faith in, thats a little hard. And now, I only have 3 months to fit it all in. Three months to tell him of God's goodness, forgiveness and grace. Three months to tell him of the peace he can find in Christ. Three months to convince him that it's not too late.

I know Jesus can save my dad. I'm just not sure if he is going to. Does that make me...faithless? I don't doubt Christ's power or desire to save my dad. I just doubt my dad's desire to be saved by Christ. Where are all of the books that provide comfort to a Christian dealing with a parent in hell? How do I find peace in that situation?

No comments: