Friday, January 26, 2007

A Fun Friday

I have laughed a lot today. I love days like this...

I went to Kroger this morning to get sodas for Sunday night's Student Worship. The lady that was checking me out was really mean. I thought for sure that it was going to be an unpleasant trip to Kroger. That was until I met Mack. Let me tell you about Mack...he is an older, African American man with cowboy boots, a cowboy hat and a face mask (because its cold outside.) The only reason I know his name is Mack is because of the gold and silver belt buckle that he had on that was the size of Texas! Mack is a very friendly, loud man. He insisted on pushing the cart out to my car. The whole trip out there was wonderful. He asked me how my day was going and I asked him the same to which he responded with something like this: "My day is great! My days are always great! Ain't nobody ever gonna make me not have a great day!" When we got out to my car, I popped the trunk and started moving the sodas in when he hollared at me, "You ain't touchin them sodas! You leave them for me!" Then he saw the cat carriers I have in my trunk and the rest of the conversation went something like this:

MACK: Woh! You got a dog in them things?
ME: No, they are for my cat.
MACK: Ooh! You got a cat! I bet its just like Garfield. Garfield is never up to any good...he just sits arooounnnd, being laaazzzzyyy alllll day!"
ME: Haha, yeah that sounds about right.
MACK: Meow! Meow! Meow! Hissss!! Hisssss!! (insert other strange cat noises here for the next 3 minutes.)
ME: (practically rolling around on the ground) Hahahahha!! Thats exactly what my cat sounds like!
MACK: Yeah, I got a dog at home. I told him this morning, 'Dog, you better get out there and catch you some food.' If he don't, he don't eat! Well...have a great day! You better have a great day, cuz I'm gonna have a great day!"

I got back to the church and told Carol that I met the greatest guy at Kroger and his name was Mack. She immediately asked me if he was black and wore a cowboy hat. Apparently he has been on the news. So I guess you could finally say that I met a celebrity at Kroger.

Then...Carol and I got locked in the prayer room at church. We went in to snoop because we had never seen it. There is an outside entrance to this room and then an inside entrance that is through a storage room in the Parlor. As we were looking around, we saw someone coming up the sidewalk to pray...Janet. (Janet sends the staff prayer emails every week. This week, her prayer concluded like this, "I pray in the name of Jesus, MVP and Super Bowl Champion".) We wanted to get out of there quickly so we started scurrying around to find the exit. Carol went through a door only to end up in the prayer room bathroom. I said, "No, Carol! It's this door!" We got through that door just as Janet was beginning to enter through the outside door. Then...tragedy struck. We were in this dark storage room and the door out of the storage room into the Parlor was locked! I couldn't even speak I was laughing so hard (but it was that quiet kind of laugh because I didn't want Janet to hear us.) We looked around frantically for a minute to assess the situation. We couldn't go back through the prayer room now because Janet was in there and that would be weird. Praise the Lamb! A maintenance guy was in the Parlor and heard us trying to open the door! He came to the door and said "hello??" with much hesitation. He let us out. I can't even imagine what he was thinking. Probably something like, 'what are these 2 cucks doing in the prayer room storage closet?!'

Oh, I love my job.

2 comments:

Erin said...

Man! I am so jealous that you got to go into the prayer room! Carol and I always wondered how you got in. Doesn't it have a code on the outside door? How did you all get in? Have you all pushed each other down the hall on the cart yet? You should. Carol and I always wanted to but I was always afraid I would break the cart and she wouldn't get on top of it. Tell Carol I said hi. I miss her!

Suzi O said...

Hey Jackie Girl!
I read your mom's blog, and consequently was led to yours...I love it. I have one too...suzio.blogspot.com - it's mainly pictures and inane stuff...I have my deep times, but haven't been inspired to spill it lately!