Sunday, January 4, 2009

Ouiser Boudreaux


To say that I love that movie Steele Magnolias would be an understatement. This movie brings me so much joy no matter how many times I've seen it...which I'm sure is way over 100 times. Everytime I watch, I laugh harder and cry more than at anything else. I can watch it no matter the time of day or the mood I'm in.

I love every actor and character in the movie but Ouiser Boudreaux, played by Shirley McClaine (total nut in real life, I know) is by far my favorite. Maybe thats because she is the character in the movie that is most unlike myself that its like a breath of fresh air. Yes, yes, I know Ousier is a mean, old, crotchety woman who hates most people and life in general-- but everytime I watch her tell M'Lynn that Drum is "a real gentleman. I bet he even takes the dishes out of the sink before he pees in it," I can't help but fall in love with her!

If you know the movie, then you know there is a part at Shelby's funeral when M'Lynn is breaking down and Clairee offers to let M'Lynn hit Ouiser to deal with the pain. In Clairee's excitement over her idea, she shouts that they'll make t-shirts that say 'I slapped Ouiser Boudreaux!' (I hope you remember this scene-- if not, go watch it right now!) Anyway, I want that shirt more than anything. I got online tonight thinking that surely I wasn't the only one with this idea and that I could find one easily. But so far I have only found one company that sells it and its not that great. So, I think I am going to have my own made. I have lots of friends with artistic talent that can surely put a design together for me. (*cough, cough*- Arley, Amy, Seth, Amy-Jo...)

I have also decided that I am going to be Ouiser for Halloween next year. Usually I like to keep my costume a secret but I am too excited about this one! I still am trying to decide which scene I am going to try to emulate but I think I have decided on the one where she comes into Truvy's wearing overalls and carrying a bag of tomatoes (you know, the track lighting scene). Classic.

Now, go...watch...enjoy.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Who says you aren't like Ousier?!?! LOL...I'm just teasing you. Listen, SEC unites when neccessary...GOOOOO GATORS.